Monday, January 26, 2004

Money Dependence Today

I want to put something in perspective here. I could fly from the mainland to Europe for less than I can fly from here to Los Angeles (the cheapest mainland flight). I am starting to get thoroughly depressed about my situation. I really need to go to the mainland over spring break to look at a school, and it's more than $800. I am feeling money dependent today. *start rant* Everytime I travel, I am reminded by my mother who reads my bank statements that I have limited funds and I should just stay in Hawaii and do stuff there, don't spend so much money (all I buy is food), and college is really expensive. This is my argument that seems to bear no weight:
1) I held down a steady job throughout my senior year and over the summer. I worked my ass off and saved up my money. They spent no money on me including my own car I paid for, my senior supplies, entertainment, college applications, housing deposits, and other such expenses that come with being a senior in high school.
2) No tuition is being paid because I got an academic scholarship. I only pay for housing, meal plans, and books.
3) The Parental units paid for one (1) ticket. A one way to the island. I forked out about $900 to come home for Christmas. I paid $600 for a ticket home in May. Not counting personal trips, I have already paid half a semester's tuition (if I paid for it) in plane tickets. Parents have offered $0.
4) Even if all I buy is food, at $5 for a bag of Hershey's Miniature bars, I think it is expensive to live here and do stuff here.
5) Sister's education cost 25,000+ dollars a year. My education for the first year has cost them 0 dollars.

And yet I still get lectured on wasting my money. I remember mom once saying, "You don't seem to be saving up any money from this job, ad you sure are working a lot." I said, "Can I have money to get my car serviced?" She replied, "You have a job. You can pay for it."
I also paid for pretty much everything else my senior year. They spent all of $100 the entire year. The whole reason I got the job was because they often wouldn't give me lunch money, claiming they didn't have any. Not that I'm not grateful for all they have done for me, I just wish they would either shit or get off the throne, so to speak.

I feel money dependent. Fuck it, I'm going to the mainland. If I am going to work this summer (I plan 2 jobs), I may as well get through this year in one, mentally sound piece.

No comments: