Sunday, September 28, 2003

What Happened to Brotherly Love

Last night Roomie and I went down to Waikiki and had dinner at TGI Fridays. I had steak and potatoes, she had a chicken sandwich, and we both had desserts. It was so much better than cafeteria food. We left a big tip. We went walking around and this old man was lying on his back outside of Banana Republic; he looked like he was trying to get up, and nobody was asking if he needed help. We discussed it, whether we should ask or not because we were also worried for our safety. While we were walking over to ask him if he needed help a man with work gloves in his back pocket went over and asked him if he was ok. He and a few other big guys helped him up, and one was checking him for any significant injuries. We felt kind of bad because when we were walking back there was an ambulance there, but we figured we would have been more in the way if we had tried to help him initially because we would not have been physically able to pull him up. The thing was nobody asked the man if he needed help and he was right next to a restaurant and a clothing store. He wasn't dressed oddly; he was in slacks and an aloha shirt. We saw quite a few people just walked around him and still nobody asked him. It made me sad that our regard for fellow human beings has declined so much. I felt guilty that we had to discuss with each other whether or not we should go over, and then sad that we even had to question our safety. I think I may have found another option for my path in life. My mom mentioned something about me being a good candidate for a Human Rights Lawyer. I could see myself doing that. I think I would also make a good Environmental Lawyer because of my aptitude for science and a real love for the planet. I think there are many things people and do, say, or are exposed to by other people or corporations that they just accept because it is not realizing it is not within their constitutional rights or the rights of others. I doubt many have read the US Constitution or thought about what it says. It seems that we tend to take things as they are. This girl in my anatomy class said she stopped eating meat at Thanksgiving when she was in the seventh grade because she realized what the turkey was. She told me she had always eaten meat and never really thought about the connection between the animal and the meat on the table, and when she did she didn’t want to eat meat anymore. Why should it be any different recognizing our fellow human beings as something that should have some respect?

No comments: