Tuesday, August 31, 2004

My Domestic Experiences

Well, I got moved into the new apartment. After I figured out why I didn't have hot water, I was a little more comfortable. It is, for the most part, quiet. There are a few little quirks that may need to be addressed throughout my stay. The first is that we have ants. Big ants. This may seem terrible, but really isn't. I had ants lat year and got rid of them VERY quickly. My windows look out onto other peoples rooms. This is slightly unnerving when I sleep. I can't get my shower curtain rings closed. The shower curtain is currently just hanging there. The biggest problem I can see is one night, after making dinner, I walked out of the bathroom to find a freakishly huge cockroach sitting in my kitchen. I was surprised it wasn't sitting at my bar drinking a coffee and reading the paper. It was as long as the hypotenuse of my palm (if you imagine my palm with right angles). I got a shoe and smacked it 6 times to kill it. I got cockroach traps which I don't think will work because although I got the ones for "large roaches" the holes are about four times too small for the nuclear bomb survival roach I had in my kitchen. I got the spray and have been spraying every time I come home, wake up, leave, breathe... I'm hoping it just crawled in the hole in my screen.

On the whole I am enjoying the place. I feel a whole lot better now that my refrigerator contents are more than the six pack of diet coke, the half a bottle of whiskey, and the full bottle of $40 sake. (BTW sister dear, I can get pearl sake here...would you like me to bring some home this winter for a solscist dinner?) I now have more nutritious things like pizza, mac and cheese, a ridiculously large tub of claussen pickles, and a five pound bag of cheese (I froze some and,yes, it will be eaten). My main concern after Nicole moves in on the fourth is the matter of boys. I don't bring boys home. Ever. Nicole brings lots of boys home. She says she will change this year, but she hasn't shown me that change as of yet. I guess we'll burn that bridge when we come to it.

No comments: