Friday, October 01, 2004

Debate-Shmate

I hate to admit I did not watch the presidential debate last night. There was this issue about me being pissed off at everybody for not helping me move THEIR stuff out of storage, complaining THEY were *just exhausted*, having THEM get really drunk and be very loud at my place because THEY didn't go to work because THEY were too tired, and keeping me up until midnight when I have early classes today. I was so fricking pissed I could have used my *now legal* assault weapon.

I did, however, get the transcripts of the debate and I have to say, I am not the least bit surprised at the canidates answers.

Bush used his charm and charisma to outline his greatest military achievements throughout this term, such as the capture of Saddam Hussein. Strategy wise, that was very smart, but the mix up of Saddam Hussein and Osama bin Laden in one of his responses was a little curious. Most people probably didn't catch it while watching the debate, but as I said, I was reading it.

I thought the debate was good for Kerry because the media hasn't paid so much attention to his policies or him or the vice president for that matter. I liked his clear layouts of the faults he sees with the current leadership, the change he wishes to see, and that he won't pull out until the job is finished. He stated that our "war on terror" can only be achieved if we have international support, and that our international political bonds are in shards all over the world.

Favorite line:
BUSH (in response to Jim Lehrer on miscalculations of postwar Iraq): No, what I said was that, because we achieved such a rapid victory, more of the Saddam loyalists were around. I mean, we thought we'd whip more of them going in.


*Kerry's policies are good, but Bush's personal attacks are better. Going on this debate alone, I would say Bush appealed more to the general public, but Kerry appealed more to me.

No comments: