Wednesday, December 10, 2003

Hot Topic Blues

Hot Topic Blues
Here is my gripe of today: I dislike shopping at Hot Topic because I hate dealing with the Hot Topic crew. Maybe I have had bad experiences with the Hot Topic crew, but they all act to me like they are SO original and if you walk in not totally decked out all in one style, you are a poser and not really rebellious. They bash on people for conforming by buying clothes at other stores, but aren't the people who only shop at Hot Topic conforming also by labeling themselves? On the Hot Topic website, you will notice a little quick thing that lets you choose your "scene" and then the only clothes that are shown are those associated with that genre of music. They are, in essence, telling you what Punks should wear and what Indie kids should wear. They are doing the same thing that Abercrombie and Fitch does and saying they are trying to make every one an individual. Also, whenever I walk in, the crew tends to not help me or even gives me dirty looks (mostly the girls with a gazillion an one ear and nose piercings). Right, because I normally cover up my tattoos and piercings, am smiling, have hair of relatively normal color, and am not decked out in all Hot Topic merchandise I am not an original and do not deserve to be in that store. Like I said, maybe I have just had bad Hot Topic experiences, but the complete hypocrisy of the store makes me want to avoid going in there. My curse is I like their pants. I can't win.

*I did have one friend on the Hot Topic crew in JC. His name was Dallas and I met him in the Culp. The girl he was sitting with on this particular day also worked at Hot Topic in JC and gave me dirty looks like I was nothing more than a stupid little piece of trash.

No comments: