Friday, October 21, 2005

Are You Being Served?

The other day Kristen came home SUPER excited because she JUST got a NEW DIGITAL CAMERA. Well, the little green monster came out in this one here and I decided I wanted one, too (no offense to sister, who bought me one two years ago Christmas, but that one is so big people make fun of me at social gatherings). I shopped around online to get a good idea of what it was I wanted. I narrowed it down to two Nikons and finally decided on this one.
Well I went to Sears first because I wanted to get some stuff in hardware too. I was in hardware for at least fifteen minutes and no one even said hi to me. I went over to electronics, in some vain attempt at service. Not a chance. EVERYONE around me was being helped. But not George. I went to Wal-Mart next. I didn't feel as frustrated at not being helped because nobody was helping anybody there. It was a very hostile environment. FINALLY, my real world search ended at CompUSA. This inspired me to give up on the whole concept of customer service. No one acknowledged me except for the guy who asked me to leave my bookbag at the door. I was in there for 30 minutes. Just chilling. In one spot. They weren't busy. At all. Kristen said she got the same treatment. She went to BestBuy and got GREAT service, but out BestBuy is out of walking distance. Dear sister says she doesn't get service at CompUSA either unless she is with her boyfriend. Then he gets service, really, still not her. So I just went online and got the goods. And that's how it goes. I don't think I should buy something from somewhere that doesn't say hi to me. If they don't want me there, I don't want to shop there. Not when I get paid to say "Hi, how are you?" to EVERYONE who walks in the restaurant. Even the people who are drunk from the Mai Tai bar and are going to the pee room. Even when I am SO incredibly busy I think my head will explode, I still say "ALOHA!" to everybody. Don't stand for it. No hello, no sale is what I say. Let's put the "ality" back in "hospitality" or something like that. Close your wallets to those closed mouths.

No comments: